Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It was Like Looking in a Mirror

When I studied chapter 3, in "Fulfilling the Promise of the Differentiated Classroom" by Carol Ann Tomlinson, I enjoyed it so much and vowed to have this book in my classroom for consistent reference. On page 26, under the section called 'What Was Our Vision for the Classroom?'; I was surprised to read eagerly, how Tomlinson described my very motivation, passion, and love, for teaching. I loved how she described the idea, 'to fashion a dynamic and positive classroom is to contribute in real ways to a more dynamic and positive world. We feel we have the capacity as teachers to both express an extend a vision of the way the world should be.' What empowerment!
I feel, as she described further, that 'classrooms are places designed to forge democracy, dignity, and diversity. We would affirm that schools exist to prepare young people to contribute to the world as informed thinkers, thoughtful citizens, and decent human beings--that we are entering a moral contract between ourselves, our students, and our society to contribute in every way possible to those outcomes.' This reminds me of the many teachers in my life that cared enough to serve me in this way. It is the force that compels me to give back.
Tomlinson goes on to describe Deborah Meier as a remarkable principal, and educational visionary who shared the description of her school's staff by stating that they are 'not remarkable because they are more gifted than other teachers or because they have taught longer or because they went to more exclusive colleges. They are remarkable, says Meier, because they live what they believe.' This is the essence of a great teacher. Teachers who live accountable to their conscience and are directed by their students true needs.
She describes how 'these teachers ultimately say to their students, "I want to be a leader in creating a place where each of you becomes more keenly aware of the possibilities in yourself, the people around you, and the power of knowledge. In this place, I want us to find together a good way to live."' These are the type of teachers that touch lives forever.
To be in touch with the student who is saying 'I need affirmation, contribution, power, purpose and challenge' and to 'respond to those needs' a teacher can feel confident in assuming they could truly teach that student and 'assume [they] could build together a place in which we can all become what we are meant to be!' I feel her words and celebrate the connections that have been made in this chapter.

1 comment:

  1. Are we asking too much to hope to make a difference in the world because if we aren't then that belief is a very powerful motivator.

    ReplyDelete