Thursday, September 9, 2010

They May Not Remember Exactly What You said...But They Will Never Forget The Way You Made Them Feel

The quote "...emotions trump learning" reminds me of a description of a great paradigm to have when teaching children, "they may not remember exactly what you said...but they will never forget the way you made them feel." This advice rings true to me, as does the thought that, 'emotions trump learning'.
These two messages help a teacher stay focused on what is truly important...the child. Children come to the class each and everyday ready for a new experience. They arrive with anticipation, but they are also careful, and maybe a bit nervous to think of what might be ahead. We must realize that their feelings of security matter, and that we can make a big difference in helping them feel safe, by attending to their sense of belonging.
Carol Ann Tomlinson refers to this in our text by stating that students come into our class questioning, "Will I be affirmed as a person here? Is there a real contribution for me to make in this place? Will what goes on here seem purposeful to me? Will it make me realize I have power within me? Will I feel a satisfaction that comes from a challenge conquered?" We should understand that these are true needs of a student.
After all the preparation, planning, and setting up, I hope that I will be able to take a deep breath and come back to these thoughts. It is my goal to value these true needs in children because it will empower their life forever.

1 comment:

  1. All these truly important things come before, during, and after the planning, a thread in the weave that creates the important whole.

    ReplyDelete